What is a legacy system?
In some cases, legacy “perception” is due to older user interfaces. The core of the system can still work perfectly well and by modernising the front end and re-using code that is known and trusted to your business you can achieve your objectives of a modernized look and feel.
Pace IT are highly experienced in legacy modernization projects. We have helped clients across a range of sectors to modernize their existing IT systems and infrastructure.
Your Move: Rental Management System
A Progress OpenEdge Modernization Project
Replaced existing GUI based rental management solution with a modernized and innovative web-based portal.
- to help customer organisations work smarter
- to capitalise on the digital transformation trend
Powerleague: Booking System
A Progress Openedge Modernization Project
Pace IT harnessed multiple software development platforms -NativeScript, React Native and Progress OpenEdge to create a modernized booking system
- to improve the performance of its slow and outdated online system for booking pitches and events
- to provide a complete UX and UI overhaul
Read more in NET magazine.
Replacing Legacy Systems
Systems that have been operating within an organisation for a long time are often not only critical to the running of the business but are also still very relevant in terms of what they do (why they were built in the first instance). However, the technology employed becomes obsolete so businesses are then faced with problems inherent with an outdated system.
Modernizing your IT system which does the critical jobs required for your business to function whilst equipping your business to operate more efficiently and not fall behind is a strategy often taken by those with legacy systems.
Legacy system modernization is not about reinventing the wheel each time - it involves optimising systems and enabling your data, code, applications and devices to work smarter for you, to allow your business to:
Why keep your Legacy System?
Keep in place your legacy system that is critical to the day to day operations of the business and remove the risk of switching to a new system.
Replacing and changing to a new system is risky and requires justification of the cost to the business. A large-scale commitment of resources is required including; program and project management, technical resources, communications and change management, sponsorship, and committed funding.
IT Modernization minimises risk by allowing small incremental updates and software improvements on weaker areas that require less effort and testing. The time to market for improvements is also much quicker as smaller incremental improvements can be achieved in weeks instead of months or even years.
Businesses that have had a highly customised system built, rely on its specific functionality for its day-to-day operations. Replacing these systems with generic software may not provide the necessary functionality required for a business’s specific requirements which are vital to internal processes and operations. To get off-the-shelf software to do what you need it to do is likely to require its own complete project and associated costs to develop it to meet your needs.
Legacy system modernization is cheaper and more convenient than replacing an existing system.
Legacy Systems Modernization Benefits
We evaluate how best to leverage your existing applications to create a new, unified system addressing all current and planned business processes. We'll radically update and overhaul your UI and UX improving customer satisfaction, user experience and reliability.
Problems with legacy systems
Information technology has a tendency to age very quickly as architectural techniques, software designs, programming languages, operating systems and hardware progress. The inherent problems associated with technology classified as legacy includes factors such as:
- Costly – Systems built using outdated technology can be costly to maintain due to a number of reasons including; their susceptibility to viruses, cyber-attacks, problems occurring with their day to functioning. Another factor to cost in is that employee productivity is reduced due to the system potentially being slow and not performing to meet requirements.
- Inability to scale - The system is unable to scale to handle anticipated business volumes.
- Vulnerable to security breaches - Legacy systems can be vulnerable if security patches have not been available or applied. Configurations in production can also cause security problems. Businesses with legacy systems are at risk of being compromised by attackers.
- Unable to integrate with new technologies – Legacy system modernization can allow this to happen.
- Hard to maintain and support - most legacy programmers are entering retirement age. The number of developers replacing them is very small. Therefore, there is a shortage of available workforce. This results in difficulty in maintaining legacy systems because there is a general lack of understanding of the system.
Modernize your legacy system today
If you have identified that your legacy system no longer adequately supports your current business processes and you wish to embark upon a legacy system modernization project contact Pace IT’s team of expert developers today.
Pace IT can execute a legacy modernization project that enables your current IT system to support your business in the way it should do.