Opportunity - Pharmaceuticals
A sustained period of rapid growth enjoyed by our client Converse Pharma Group, hasn’t come without its fair share of challenges. Increased business volumes placed the client’s existing supply chain management and ERP system under considerable pressure, often causing users to experience business-performance-affecting screen freezes, particularly at the peak daily order-taking periods of noon and evening.
The situation would cause frustration for the group services staff accessing financial systems and running reports, for the telesales agents taking the orders and on some occasions at its very worst, even for client’s placing orders by telephone.
Group IT Manager,
CONVERSE PHARMA GROUP
Pace IT was asked to inspect and report on the condition of multiple database files, and checks were performed over a one-day period using our in-house Database Health Check tool. Findings suggested that all databases required re-tuning, and two were not configured as efficiently as they might have been for their server disk architecture and therefore required rebuilding. One database was close to the maximum allowable size for its configuration and both presented concerns affecting ongoing business operations.
How we prioritise findings & recommendations:
- High: business performance related issues likely to benefit from short-term corrective action
- Medium: alignment with best practice for improving performance
- Low: non-business performance related issues & guidance for longer-term consideration
Through a recommendation from another of our satisfied customers, Converse Pharma asked Pace IT to perform the necessary tasks to re-tune and rebuild the databases, restoring them to their original robustness and efficiency. The database rebuilds were accomplished using ProDMirror, Pace IT’s in-house developed database progress replication solution, and our innovative feature add-on ‘Online Dump & Load’, which takes the work offline enabling business-as-usual operations to continue while addressing the rebuilds.
Senior Database Analyst,
PACE IT SYSTEMS
- Significantly improved speed of response resulting in reduced business disruption:
- Live phone order taking delay time down from lengthy pauses to real-time.
- Reporting delays reduced significantly.
- Screen freeze issues virtually eliminated - telesales agent user and customer experience & satisfaction levels greatly increased.
- Business-critical report run times reduced by up to 50% - one by 75% to just 5 minutes.
- Server storage disc loading reduced – now more robust with improved performance and lifespan.
- Database file lifespan significantly increased – along with reduced server loading. Following the success of the Database Health Check, re-tune and rebuild project, Pace IT was asked to provide ongoing support and maintenance for Converse Pharma’s database estate.
About Converse Pharma Group
The Converse Pharma Group is a privately UK owned group of companies. The primary focus of the group is the wholesale distribution of pharmaceutical products throughout the UK and the Republic of Ireland. The group operates from 11 sites, serving over 4,000 customers, employing over 600 people and with a turnover of £188m in 2016.